Sunday, August 2, 2009

Letter Dated July 8th, 2009



Dear Family,
Well I got ahold of another picture so I thought I would get it off to you! I wanted to thank you again for sending that package. I can't tell you how happy it made me...it really couldn't be any better than what it was. And in the next one please send pictures again. I love PICTURES! And I promise I will send pictures as often as I can.
Quinn, if there is one thing you need to know before going into the MTC/mission field that is..a mission is not easy. You will be pushed to, and far beyond what you thought you could handle. But it's good! It's normal. I don't know what I was thinking when I came here. I thought it was going to be hard, but not this hard. I knew it wouldn't be easy, but I didn't know I was going to go through what I have. Quinn, and what I KNOW is that I could not have gone through it without the Lord. I could not have SURVIVED if I did not have a testimony. And I mean it. Having a hard time on a mission doesn't mean that you aren't a good missionary or that the Lord is punishing you. He's only pushing you. Read Alma 17:5. Even the Sons of Mosiah had a hard time. They suffered both in 'body' and in 'mind'. But the phrase that I think is really interesting is how how they suffered much 'labor in the Spirit.' To try to explain what that means is difficult, unless you've experienced it. Quinn, the Lord doesn't allow bad things to happen to us to punish us or make us suffer. He does it to strengthen us so when hard times do come, we can stand undaunted. I am thankful for every single stomach problem. I am thankful because it made me stronger.
Well..I'm doing great! I really am! The work is going wonderful and it's only getting better! We have SO many baptisms for the month of July! The Lord is truly answering prayers. I feel so bad for the young men who choose not to serve a mission. What a tremendous mistake! There are so many things that you experience, that you can only experience on a mission. And not only experiences but blessings as well. In the MTC, every time a General Authority came and spoke they also stressed that 'this experience is a once in a lifetime opportunity'. They said 'not even as apostles, they are called to serve 24/7 to spread the life changing and life saving message. I am so grateful for this mission. And if there are even worse hard times in the future, bring it on!
I love you and I am doing everything I can to make you proud. Read 1 Nephi 8:3. I want to do everything so you can 'rejoice in the Lord' because of me. I know that sending a son as far as you can from home isn't easy. But know I'm hanging in here. I'm doing great. I'm so excited for you to see me and how much I've changed. Because already the change is tremendous.
oh, I also wanted to explain the pictures! The one of the baptism (of all the happy and lively people :)) was a great one! The man in the back, his name is Alexis (but you pronounce it Uh-lex-e). I have been teaching him since I arrived in the Ivory Coast! And he finally had his conversion. And he is doing great now. I am proud to say that EVERY SINGLE one of my converts are active and strong! I promised myself that I will not baptize a person if I had any doubt of them falling away.
The other photo is at the chapel in Koumassi. From left to right it's Elder Touhouly, me, Elder N'Dri, Elder Cloward, Elder Andon, and Elder Call. Elder Call is brand new. This picture was taken his 4th day here. But he is doing great!
I have to get going if I want to get this off today.
I LOVE YOU! -- Elder Legere

No comments:

Post a Comment