Saturday, August 22, 2009

August 22nd Email

I wont be able to email monday so president okayed to email now. I'm going to anwser those questions for the stake.

Here you go! I hope this what you were expecting. I just answered them all honestly.

What influenced you the most to go on a mission?

Ever since I can remember I have always wanted to serve a mission. I have always looked at it as just a step in life. You graduate high school, go to college, go on your mission, get married... But if I had to choose one thing that influenced me the most to go on a mission it has to have been my parents. Thanks to the way my parents raised me, I never looked at going on a mission as an option, because I knew of its importance.

How did young women impact your decision to go?

As you all know Holly and I dated for quite some time before my mission. I am so grateful for her and the attitude that she had and continues to have. She can be a great example to a lot of the young woman in the stake. Some of the things that has made serving a mission so much easier are:
1. Her attitude. She has NEVER once said anything negative about my mission. While I was preparing to serve, she would ask me what she could do to help me prepare.
2. Her standards. I know that I would never have a chance with her if I did not serve a mission. Because of her high standards, ive never doubted what I am doing is something she will not approve of. The young woman need to have high standards and get it through the heads of the young men that a returned missionary is someone who they want to spend the rest of not just time, but eternity with.
3. Her support. She has been supportive 100%. I love the letters I get from her because of how happy she is. She is not down and mopy, but is continuing her life and having fun. In the letters she writes she always includes either her testimony, something she has learned, or a spiritual thought. She does not destract the work, but motivates me to serve even harder.
The best advice I can give the young woman is, dont be a stumbling block, be a building block.

What is the most beneficial thing that the mission has done for you?

Wow...where to start? I have learned SO many things while serving in the last short 8 or so months. I dont know how many of you know of what struggles I've had while serving. But the biggest thing I've learned is where to place my confidence. Whether I have ulcers in my stomach or throat, diarrhea for 4 months, swollen feet, malaria, no water, heat, African hospitals, or any other thing, I have learned that I can overcome it if I place my confidence in my Lord and Savior. I've learned that not only is the atonement for our sins, but any other struggle or weakness we may have. I am thankful for the hard times I've experienced, and I invite even more. I have never felt closer to my Savior than in the times when I needed Him the most. I've truly found out who I really am and what im made of...NOTHING without my Savior.

What is the most positive experience that you have had so far?

This is probably the hardest question...not because I can't think of a good experience, but it's just which one? The most positive experience I've had so far has to be just seeing the light of Christ blaze in these peoples hearts while we share this life changing and saving message. Seeing peoples testimonies grow and lives change brings a happiness that I can not explain. I can honestly say that we are doing a 'great and a marvelous work' here in Cote d'Iviore.

Briefly express your testimony.

Brothers and Sisters, I know that this church is true. I am so greatful for the oportunity to be the mouth, the hands, and the feet of my Lord. And to bring this gospel to these starving souls. I know of its importance and I know that there is no other work on this earth that can bring more happiness. I know that Joseph Smith saw God the Father and His Son. I know the Book of Mormon to be the word of God. And I know that this church is THE chuch of Jesus Christ. I love and pray for you all. I say these things, in the name of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, amen.

Include anything else that you would like the youth to know.

Gain your testimonies, prepare, and serve with all your heart. I promise you all that there are blessings that ONLY come from serving a mission, and that there is NO other place where you will grow and learn more than out in the mission field. Dont miss out on these blessings.



Okay now for the weekly report. After writing that I dont have a lot of time but I'll try to hurry.

Tuesday we had our mission conference. It went great! My favorite part was when we all sang the childrens hymn "we are as the armies of Helaman..." WOW! it was so powerful and the Spirit was just so strong...I wish you could have heard it...
Wednesday we taught all day. We also got stuck in the rain...its nothing out of the ordinary but this time it just was dumping! My book of mormon is still drying... :/
Thursday we taught all day as well. We taught a woman who the president actaully told us to teach and solve her problem so I was courious of the problem. Well the womans name is Sister Achi. She is the kindest woman you'll ever meet. So the lesson is just going great, the Spirit is there, shes about in tears, and I ask her what is keeping her from baptism. She then started to cry...she explained that she loves her husband very much, but the problem is she is not his only wife. And he not only just has two wives, but im talking about 4 or 5... I sat there and the only thing that I could think about was the couple sentences in my blessing that says "you have been blessed with the comfort of a great home. You must teach that to those whom you convert...their lives WILL be changed" we fixed an appointment next week and I'm excited to go back. We have been praying hard and I feel that we can really help this family.

I dont have anymore time left but know that I love you all! Thank you all for who you are! I'm praying for you! I'm doing great! muah!
ELDER LEGERE

No comments:

Post a Comment