I wanted to develop some pictures and send them to ya, I'm sorry there's only 5. These are some pictures of WHAT NOT TO TAKE FOR GRANTED! There are countless things, but I thought these pictures might show what I'm trying to say.
#1) AIR CONDITIONING! You might have heard me say "I haven't stopped sweating since I've gotten here"...I am not kidding. I haven't. This fan is my best friend here! I just pray that I will have one in the next apartment I go to.

#2) RUNNING WATER! You might think running water is a must or obvious thing in a home...but it's not. We have been blessed with running water in our apartment, except it just doesn't work 85% of the time. That is why we are always "prepared". I finally understand the importance of a food and water supply, because if we didn't have one, we'd be dead.

#3) MILK! If you thought milk was something that was everywhere, you thought wrong. The sad thing is that lumpy, thick milk out of a coca-cola bottle doesn't even bother me anymore!

#4) ELECTRICITY! OK...I cannot lie. In the picture we actually had electricity, but it just came too strong and burned out 9 of the 11 lights in the apartment. Be grateful for light and controlled electricity. I'm thankful for candles. This is a picture of us eating. Most of our dinners are very romantic! :)

#5) TOILET SEATS! OK...before you throw up, know that I took the picture my first day here in Toit Rouge. It looks much better now. But I wanted you to know toilet seats are a luxury. Think of me every time you sit on your comfortable toilet. I want you to know that I am thankful for the thigh muscles I've gotten from squatting.;)

I guess what I am trying to say is look for the good in everything. Be happy where you are and in your situations. Everything depends on your attitudes. I'll be the first to tell you a mission is not easy, but it's awesome. I've never laughed so much in my whole life. Every time we about die on the roads because of no traffic laws, I laugh. Every time I wash my clothes til my hands go raw, I laugh. When they kill chickens in the apartment, put globs of mayonnaise on my food, find animals in the apartment, or bugs big enough to be animals, in the apartment, I laugh. Don't forget that I wish you were here...
Love this letter (and the photos)!! Elder Halvorsen has echoed similar words. He looks great, Marilyn, and happy. Our boys are getting such wonderful insights and experiences.
ReplyDeleteOk, I didn't have to enlarge the milk picture to get the full effect (I think pregnancy stimulates your imagination into overdrive!) I can't imagine that, but Alan says that after Korea he thinks that the best kind of milk is the kind you can chew:) (although his didn't come in coke bottles)
ReplyDelete