Monday, February 22, 2010

A Visit from Elder Holland

Hey Everyone!
I wanted to tell you that just as i got home from emailing you all last week, my package was sitting on my bed! :D! THANK YOU! I wanted to let you know that I got everything and it is perfect! I am about done with the second book you sent me and will be starting the third this week. Elder Touhouly was so thrilled when I gave him his 'Jesus le Christ'. It really did just make him so happy. Thank you so much for the packages you send. I also received quite a bit of letters! Thank you so much! I got all the letters from around my year mark that you send out. They actually got here in about 3ish weeks! pretty quick!
This week had to have been one of the weirdest weeks so far. I mean it was just a roller coaster. Well they have cut our power and water every day. You should have seen Elder Niamkey (Elder Oakeson's companion) Thursday afternoon when we got back to the apartment! He just started screaming whoo hoo because we didn't have power! He said 'its a blessing that they cut our power right now because we'll have a better chance of having it for the night time'. Wednesday night was a pretty rough night. I rolled from one side of my bed to the other until my whole bed was wet from sweating. Its just been SO hot lately that it just bakes us in the building. And when you don't have power to run the fan, you really don't think you can make it through the night. But we always do :)
I also wish I could send some pictures today. The computers just really aren't up to speed and it would take up all my time. I will try to do everything I can to get them off next week. I really don't want to send out letters right now.
As most of you probably know the country is still hurting. More and more things just happen and we still don't technically have a government. It is very weird to see how fast things change. But I want you to know that we're doing good and we will be okay. People have been burning buses in the last week. We know of 8 so far, and just other stupid riots. It is more dangerous in the North part of the country. It was weird to see Cocody yesterday in the evening. Even around 4ish people close their work and go home. Everyone is being very very cautious.
But we had a major blessing put on us yesterday by Elder Holland, Elder Snow (of the Presidency of the Seventy), and Elder Carden. Yesterday all the stakes of Cote d'Ivoire met in Cocody to listen to them. It was such a blessing to have them here with us and to listen to their words of council and direction. At the end Elder Holland's talk he blessed the congregation, and promised them that if they control their homes, and have peace, no matter what happens to the country, their children and wives will be protected. What a blessing! I cant explain how strong the Spirit was in the room. After, they met personally with the missionaries, and that experience i can not explain over an email. I am sorry but i will share it when i get home. Ive already written it down.
I love the parable of the 10 virgins. While reading the scriptures i love to relate them to missionary work. While reading this parable i thought of the lamps and the oil. To me the lamps represent our testimonies and the oil represents the level of our conversion. As the 5 wise virgins prepared for the 'bridesgroom', the others were lazy and thought to depend on the 5 wise. But as the time came, the 5 wise did not and could not share their oil. There are many out there who depend/lean on their parent's/friend's testimonies. It is dangerous. We must be founded upon the 'rock' and not the 'sand' (Matt.7:24-27). It is true, everyone may have a testimony. Just as the wise AND foolish man. They both 'built' but did it last through the trials and temptations? Do you have enough oil in your lamp? A day will come when the angels will separate the wheat and the tares (D&C 38:12; 63:54; 86:5). They are anxiously waiting. I am grateful to be an 'angel' in our days to be in this great work. I am grateful to be a disciple of Jesus Christ. I will tell you, missionary work is not easy. If there is anything members of this church should know is discipleship is not free. It comes with trials, difficulties, and persecution. And when Christ said 'take up your crosses', He never said to put it back down. I have realized that if i want to become as He is i will have to take a few steps up Calvary. Ive learned that the road to salvation passes through Gethsemane. There are countless things Ive learned while serving. I have changed and grown enormously. I am grateful for the chance to grow as i have. I am not perfect, but i feel the Savior's hand sculpting me into the man i need to be. Yesterday, as we were at Cocody, i saw tons and tons of my converts from 3 of the 4 stakes. I can not begin to explain the joy that i felt. Just having grown men run up to me and wrap their arms around me thanking me for what I've done, telling me their callings, and showing me members of their families who are now members. I want all the young men who are teetering back and forth, wondering 'whether a mission is right for you', let me tell you it is. Not only is it 'right', but it is crucial! Please do not miss out on these experiences. I promise the 'fruit' of this work out weighs any sacrifice, time, scholarship, etc. It is the most important time of a teenage boys life.
I love you all and will continue to pray for you! I hope you enjoyed the pictures I've sent. Know we are doing well and are safe. President is having a meeting with us here in Yopougon tomorrow, and we will find out more of what will happen in the weeks to come. President is pulling his missionaries in closer to him but i really don't think i will be touched in the next transfer. I know Elder Oakeson will be leaving the apartment soon to be with Elder Touhouly and Elder Jerman, another American, and i believe I'm getting another Togolais. 'All is well'.
May God be with you all till we meet again,
Elder Cameron Jay Legere

No comments:

Post a Comment